Wednesday, July 13, 2011

All-American Month: Washington DC Roadtrip!

Here it is, already July 13th!  Time has certainly flown by this summer. We were in Washington D.C. from July 1st-9th.  Well, we were actually there from July 3rd-7th, but we drove the other days.  The kids were actually pretty good on the road trip.  I, of course, packed too many things for them to do, but I'd rather have too much than too little.  We could have easily packed the ipods and ipad and left it at that, but I made my kids read and do other stuff.

Gwen ended up really sick at the end of the trip.  She had a fever over 103.5 and we didn't get to visit our friend that lives in the DC area.  :(  Our last day, we went to Georgetown Cupcake (aka-DC Cupcakes from TLC).  Oh my gosh!  They have the best cupcakes in the whole wide world.  I swear!!  After Georgetown Cupcake, we stopped at a museum for Boone and then, since we couldn't get our friends sick with Gwen's funk, we headed out of the DC area.  Gwen fell asleep and rested until about an hour outside of Pittsburgh.  When we woke up, she was so pathetic.  She just sat there and wouldn't eat or drink.  We pulled off the turnpike and stopped at a McDonald's.  We got her a chocolate shake--I was thinking that she'd get something in her system and maybe it would cool her down.  She took 3 or 4 sips and she then puked it all back up.  We called our insurance company and found a clinic that took our insurance.  In the meantime, a nice Pennsylvania guy gave us a couple of garbage bags-one to put our puked up stuff in and another for Gwen, should she need to puke again.

We took Gwen to the walk-in clinic.   Sure enough...ear infection.  We got some antibiotics and we were off to the northside of Pittsburgh.  Our goal was to drive on Saturday from Pittsburgh to just outside of Chicago.  We got through Chicago and then, in a moment of insanity, we decided to drive all the way home.  We were crazy, but home at 11:00 pm.

The trip was great.  We got to see almost everything we had hoped and enjoyed most of the trip.  I couldn't ask more from my kids.  They were good, especially with Gwen's illness.

Now that we're home, I've completed the laundry, I'm ready to share some of my Made in the USA finds with you all.  More later!