Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Amazing Crayon Art Tutorial

Once again, Pinterest.com rules!

My first attempt:



 



I like the way you can see the texture in this picture.  


What you need:
Canvas of your choice
Crayola Crayons (the generic and cheapy ones don't melt as nice)
Hairdryer
Splatter sheet
1" Black ribbon
Hot glue gun

I had to try this!  Bring on a JoAnn's coupon and a clearance!  I picked up a 16 X 20 canvas for a couple bucks.  I had a new box of 64 count Crayola crayons in the cabinet! So far, cost was about $2.15 for the canvas.  I used a red, plastic table cloth I picked up from the Dollar Store.  

What to do:
1.  Hot glue the Crayola Crayons to the top of the canvas.  I tend to be a bit OCD, so I had to make sure that all of the "Crayola" was pointed up.

2.  Set up your splatter area.  I over did it, but really all you need is about a foot on all sides of the canvas.

3.  Set your canvas on an angle on the splatter sheet.  I put a shoe under the splatter sheet to keep my canvas secured at the same angle for the entire project.

4.  Start warming your crayons.  I used the high heat setting, but the low air speed.  I didn't want my crayon to splatter, just drip.  

5.  The crayons will get all shiny right before they start to drip.  I worked one section at a time. 
Getting shiny!
Staring to drip!

6.  One it starts dripping, you have a little control with the air direction.  I wanted it to flow down, but also give my "art" some shape to it.  You kinda have to "chase" the melting crayon down the page with the hairdryer to the approximate place you'd like it to stop.  

7.  Work across the canvas with the dyer.  
8.  Finish your work and let it cool completely.
9.  I added a black, satin ribbon to the outside edge of the canvas to give it a more "finished and framed" look.  

10.  Hang on your wall.  So cool!


Note to readers:  It looks cooler IRL.  Enjoy!

Some tips I learned:  Use fewer darker blues and purples.  They tend to turn a very dark, almost black color.  Do not use browns or dark grays for the "rainbow" look.