Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial

DIY:  Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial

What you need:  
Sharp scissors
Chinese lantern (my lantern was 9.5".  You could very easily make your pom-pom smaller)
fabric--I used 3 yards for my 9.5" lantern.  
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks--lots and lots
Something about 3.25" across to trace a circles onto the fabric.  I used my sandwich cutter.  
Pencil
Patience---LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE.  
Chinese Lantern before I started applying fabric.

Trace your circles onto your doubled up fabric and then cut into squares, then cut into the circles.  
Fabric doubled up and ready to be cut into two circles.
This is a pile of about 200 circles.
I made about 700 circles!  I cut while I watched TV.  

Add a small dab of hot glue to the center of the circle. 

Fold in half.  

Add another dab of hot glue to this folded piece.  

Fold in half again.  Hold until the hot glue cools a bit and the glue is set.  

Do over and over and over.......
Put the glue directly on the lantern, alternating the direction you place your fabric piece. 
Hold your fabric piece until the glue sets.  
About a quarter of the way through the the process.
Be sure to alternate the direction you put your fabric pieces.
Once the lantern is completely covered, tie a ribbon from the lantern frame and hang.  

After you do it about a gazillion times, you will have this super cute fabric pom pom!
Now I'm off to make two more for my music studio!