Sunday, March 18, 2012

Music Stand Makeover Tutorial


 Turn your old music stand new again with a bit of stand paper, spray paint designed for metal (in a color of your choosing), and some time.

Here's my "Music Stand Makeover".


Here is a music stand that I have that is starting to show some wear and tear.  It has some rust on the bottom, paint is chipping off and it is getting some scuffs and scratches.  It looks like a stand that you might also find at a garage sale or in your basement.  You can easily give it a new life and a new look.  

You can see the paint is chipping off and the rust on the feet.  

Sand down the stand with some sandpaper to paint chipped area smooth.  Then, wipe clean with a wet cloth.  

See, no more chipped areas.  The feet are all sanded down.  
I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Satin Finish Spray Paint in Wildflower Blue.  
Put your stand on some cardboard or plastic in a well-ventilated area or outside.  Use short bursts of paint about 12-16" away from your stand.  Put on thin layer of paint, let it dry completely then put another layer of paint.  


There's me spraying the stand.  Pictures via my 8-year old son.   I promised him I'd include it in the blog since he took the picture.  ;)  Thanks, son.  
Completely covered stand waiting to dry.  


After it's completely dry, you've got a stand with a whole new life to it.   I've always wanted a neat-o, cool-color stand, but never had the money to buy one.  Since I used a stand that I already owned, this cost me all of $3.00!    I can't wait to surprise my students next week with this cool Wildflower Blue stand!  I think they'll love it, because I know I do!