Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane



We've fallen in love...with Edward Tulane.

Since we've been in the car for HOURS this summer.  We've been getting audiobooks to help make our long trips, short trips, any trips go faster and easier.

We've listened to some amazing stories, but I have to tell you that we've just fallen in love with The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo.  All of us.  We haven't finished the story yet, but we park in the garage and just sit for 5 minutes more for a little bit more of his adventure.   I can't wait to hear how this story will finish.

We discovered Kate DiCamillo when we listened to The Tale of Despereaux.  My kids tend to get "attached" to authors and Ms. DiCamillo's writing is enchanting and mesmerizing.  I even get caught up in the storytelling of her amazing writing and scene painting.   Since I haven't read the written word, I can't speak from experience, but I think having the story read to me, it is even more amazing.  I think this would be a fantastic story to be read to every class...at any age too.  So many great lessons.

My kids are discussing the story and trying to figure out what will happen with the characters before it will happen.  They have fallen in love with Edward.

This book is destined to become a classic in our home.  Why can I see a china rabbit, a bit worn with love, finding a place as our "Edward"?

By the way....I've found all sorts of cool things on the edwardtulane.com website.  Reader's Theater, Videos, Teacher's Guides, and more...TALK ABOUT LOVE!!