Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Just let the kid be proud of something!

So we're going through a lot.  My parents are building a house.  My brother is their builder.  My dad is nutty about this house.  My mom fell and broke her elbow.  We decided on October 1st to move and I told my studio families last Friday.  The kids are not taking it well and now, I think my wonderful, sweet son is getting bullied at school on top of it all.

Today, the kids went back to school after a long weekend and they had been to a great workshop with a famous violinist.  They got to play in a group class with her and then got her autograph and a picture with her.  It was inspiring for them and really motivating.  Then there's this kid and former friend of Barrett's that is not being very nice.  He's harassing Barrett about stuff, but he's really latched on to the violin part of Barrett's identity.  Barrett took in his autographed CD and magazine to share with the class and to tell about his experience and this kid was not nice and I guess told Barrett that the violin was stupid, and lame, and sucked, and well, you get the idea.  It really cut to the core of Barrett.  With all of our moving plans, I think the violin has become his rock.  His safe place.  And for a friend to go and disrespect it so badly upset him so much.  This isn't the first time either.  We've been trying to steer Barrett to the positives.  Focusing his attention on his work.  How people change and perhaps this isn't a person you want to consider a friend.  But Barrett doesn't understand how someone who was his friend could all of a sudden, for no reason, be so cruel.

I couldn't take it any more.  I had to write the teacher a letter.  I told how for the past few weeks Barrett hasn't been sleeping and has been crying himself to sleep about how he's getting harassed by this kid. Today, I was volunteering at the school.  Barrett saw me and stopped for a quick hug.  Then, this kid, AGAIN, started in on Barrett.  Barrett got all upset, flustered, couldn't concentrate on his work and started to cry.  He left the room and came down to find me, but I was gone and he told me how the room was "all black".  (That cut me to the core.  I wish I would have been there to comfort him.)  :(   Barrett asked me if he was sobbing hard enough if he could come home from school.

Seriously?  My kid doesn't want to be in school?  My super smart, book worm?  Avoiding school?  This can't be happening?!!??!

Damned this bullying kid.  This better be dealt with.  I figure, I made contact with the teacher.  If something isn't done soon,  we're headed to the principal.  This can't happen.