Thursday, August 28, 2014

Fabric Push Pin Tutorial

I got some great organizers from Pottery Barn--more about those tomorrow.  Today, I made some great fabric covered push pins that are super cute and kinda vintage.  I used some scraps from another craft I'm doing for Gwen's room, so really, the fabric was just hanging around waiting for the trash bin.  

I got the 1/2" inch size cover button kit and a refill kit to have plenty of push pins.  

These are standard sized thumb tacks that we found at Walgreens. 

Take the button loop part off the back of the button backing.  I just used a needle nose pliers.  


I did all of my backs at once.  

Pick some fun fabrics with small designs.  I used scraps from another project I'm doing for Gwen's room.  It's about the size of a quarter--actually a little bit bigger.  I didn't really trace around the quarter, but I just eyeballed it.  

Put in the button maker, push the top of the button down, tuck all the ends down.  Trim the fabric if it seems like it's too bulky.  Put the back on and press down.  

Add a good glob of hot glue and then put the thumb tack on the back.  The tack fits pretty well in the back.



That's it!  You're done!  Super easy and really inexpensive!  It makes a plain ol' bulletin board look a little more fun too.