Monday, September 8, 2014

Beginning Quilting Class: Week 1

 I've been thinking about it for a while and I saw that this great quilt shop in my little town had a "Beginning Quilt Class" for $78.  The class is Mondays from 9:30-12:30 and is 5 or 6 weeks. Today was the first day.  I was thinking, "Man, I'm going to go in there and learn how to sew straighter lines.  Sew blocks together. I'll make me a great little quilt with some squares or strips or something.  I'm going to be a 'Beginning Quilt Class Rockstar'. Then I went into the class and this is what I saw.

I almost crapped in my pants. When our instructor said that this was our "BEGINNING QUILT", I started laughing like she was joking and I was laughing out loud.  For real.  She said, "No, I'm serious."  Then I started to laugh and almost cry.  

OMG. Here I was thinking squares or triangles or strips.  NOT THIS!  OMG!!  I'm making an actual quilt wall hanging.  After that, the next 20 minutes she said a whole bunch of quilty talky words. My brain was all frizzled out just thinking that I was going to make this in the next six weeks. Holy heck. If I can make this thing, I can make the kits and patterns that I just bought at the Madison Quilt Expo.   

At the end of class, we all spent an hour or so picking out our fabrics to make our own design.  


This is what I came up with for my wall hanging.  Now pray for me people.  I'm hoping that this thing isn't the ugliest thing on the planet, because if it is a rough go and I still feel like I have to hang the ugly beast on my wall, I'm hoping it's not to much of an eyesore.  


I'll keep you updated with the progress.  

ERMAGERD!  Let the madness begin!